1. Earlier this week, in a fit of desperation, at the end of a very long day, I did something I will come to regret for some time. I played the Beauty and the Beast soundtrack for Vio. I have the soundtracks for most of the big Disney movies of the 90s, when I was a kid and everyone had them and we’d listen to them at slumber parties and do pretend karaoke and watch Aladdin for the 50th time and STOP LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT, it was a different time. Because of this, don’t be alarmed if you hear me proclaiming, “I use antlers in all of my decorating!” I can assure you no ungulates were harmed in the process of making this stellar interior design a reality.
2. We got the Crud, folks. (Any of my fellow UF Alums go to the infirmary and get told they had the “Gainesville Crud”? Then they’d prescribe these bright blue pills that did absolutely nothing and yell at you like you were just trying to get out of your Calculus midterm. Oh, great. Now I want to rant about the college infirmary. That’s totally healthy 8 years later, right?) Anyway, after the excitement of last week’s stomach bug, I guess Vio couldn’t resist illness’s siren song. (It does come with special food and unlimited-ish episodes of Clifford the Big Red Dog, so I can sort of understand.) So she has a sore throat, and my sinuses are starting to drain drain drain, and I see a lot of orange juice in our future.
3. (Warning: Creepy spider picture to follow.) When Matt left for work this morning, he was greeted by an eight-legged critter who had built a hugely impressive web across our front entryway. We get a lot of orb-weavers in FL, so this isn’t particularly uncommon, but the SIZE of the spider was. I’ve never seen a thick, furry spider in the middle of such a delicate web. It’s times like this (and almost any time I take a picture) that I wish I had something better than a point-and-shoot. We had to take down the web (which broke my heart, honestly) because it covered the whole walkway, and no one wants to go outside to find their mailman ensconced head to toe in a spider’s silk. I’ll be perusing the bug guide later today to see if I can figure out what kind it is, but in the mean time, feel free to take a crack at it:
4. In light of our new neighbor, I’ve decided not to slaughter any pigs for a while. You know, just in case.
5. We have three birthday parties this weekend. Three. Hold me.
6. Girl Talk Thursday was AMAZING yesterday. Thank you so much to the participants who made it as awesome as it was. By the end of the night, reading all 30+ posts, I’m pretty sure I came away with a list of 20. My friend Ian (whose wife Lisa borrowed his blog yesterday to participate) has posted a “Dude Response Friday” with his own list. Matt says he is working on one, but I’m telling you, internet, he will NEVER get past Angelina Jolie and Natalie Portman. Once he thinks up those two, his brain sort of shuts down. Does that mean I can have a list of 8?
7. Because, internetally speaking, this week wasn’t already insane enough …
<shameless self promotion>Did you know letting your 2-year-old do the dishes is considered aiming low? Check it out, yo.</shameless self promotion>